In this article:
- Pairing the scanner
- Unpairing the scanner
A Socket Mobile scanner (S700, CHS) can be used with Abacus POS and Abacus Stock Management App. These instructions apply to the Socket Mobile CHS 7 series. (Supplier's user guide here)
Pairing the scanner
- Power on the scanner. It will beep twice (a low beep followed by a high beep). Make sure the scanner is discoverable (unpaired). The Blue light should be blinking fast.
2. Scan the below barcode:
The scanner will beep 3 times to confirm it has changed the profile to Application Mode.
Note: Try to scan the barcode directly from the screen, but if the scanner does not beep, print this page and scan it from the page. This barcode will also be available in the Socket Mobile Scanner manual.
3. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn on Bluetooth on your Master iPad (if pairing with Abacus POS) or on your iPad/iPhone (if pairing with your Stock Management app)
4. When the barcode scanner is discovered, its name will appear on the list as either "Socket CHS" or "Socket S700[xxxxxx]" (characters in brackets are the last 6 characters of the Bluetooth Address).
After a few seconds, the status will change to "Connected" and the LED will stop blinking and turn solid blue. The scanner will beep once, indicating that it is connected.
To test the scanner in Abacus POS, open Abacus and scan a product. If you scan a barcode registered in Abacus, it will be added to the order.
Note: You can make the scanner automatically add new products for barcodes that have not been registered in Abacus by going to Settings > System > General and enabling Create New Product with Scanned Product Code Not Found in System
Unpairing the scanner
- Tap the i icon and 'Forget This Device'
- Press and hold the two top buttons on the scanner until you hear 3 descending tones.
- The scanner is now unpaired
If the barcode scanner is appearing in the Bluetooth list on your iPad but not connecting:
- Unpair the scanner (see Unpairing the scanner above)
- Re-pair the scanner (see Pairing the scanner above)
Wake up the connection
When left inactive for a prolonged period of time, the Socket Mobile scanner will go to sleep and disconnect from Abacus. To reconnect the Socket Mobile scanner to Abacus:
- Ensure that Abacus is active (not asleep)
- Turn off Auto-Lock on the iPad
- Power on the scanner
- Within 30 seconds, the scanner will automatically reconnect. It will emit a single beep when it is connected.
- Power on the scanner
2. Press and hold the scan button
3. Briefly press the power button once while still holding the scan button
4. Continue to hold down the scan button until it beeps, then release. Please note that if you release the scan button too early, the factory reset will fail.
5. The scanner will beep 5 times then power off
(Reference: Socket Mobile guide.)
6. Go to Settings on the iPad/iPhone and then tap Bluetooth. Now remove the scanner from the list of connected devices on the iPad.
7. The scanner should be blinking with a blue light twice every second. This means the scanner is in pairing mode.
8. The scanner should appear in the Devices list on the iPad/iPhone. Now, pair the scanner with the iPad. The scanner should now display a solid blue light meaning it is paired.
9. With the scanner successfully paired:
- Abacus POS: scan a product with a barcode in your system. It will appear on your POS order.
- Stock Management App: tap on a field where a barcode can be scanned and then try scanning a barcode. The barcode scanned should fill the field.
If the scanner still did not work, repeat steps 1 to 6 so that the scanner is Factory Reset and the scanner is no longer paired with the iPad/iPhone, then re-pair (see Pairing the Scanner).