In this article:
- Creating a new menu
- Product photos and description
- Theme customisation & preview
- Dietary requirements
- Hide product variants
You can offer online ordering either through your own custom mobile app, or through your own web platform.
Creating a new menu
Please note that there are differences in limitations between the POS Menu and the Online Ordering Menu. If you intend on basing the Online Ordering Menu on your POS Menu, first check out How to optimise your menu for online ordering.
- Go to Online Ordering > Menu
2. Click Change.
3. You have three options for creating a menu for online ordering:
- Select an existing online ordering menu - convert an existing POS Menu to an online ordering menu. WARNING: This means that the two menus are always shared, and your POS will be using this menu as well. Any changes you make to this menu will affect that same menu on your POS. Make sure you check out How to optimise your menu for online ordering.
- Duplicate an existing menu - copy an existing POS menu to become an online ordering menu. The original POS menu won't be affected. Make sure you check out How to optimise your menu for online ordering.
- Create a new online menu from scratch - if you are new to Abacus or just using it for online ordering, we recommend you create a new menu from scratch
4. If you are duplicating or converting a POS menu, what were "tabs" in the POS Menu will now appear as tabs (under Menu List) in the online menu. Click a listing to see its items.
Each listing under Menu List corresponds to a different tab on the mobile ordering page.
Within each tab on the list are any number of products that are part of that group.
Note that customers can also look up certain products using the search bar at the top of the screen.
5. Click on any tab or item name to rename it. You may also change the price of any item.
6. Click and drag any product to rearrange it in its list.
7. When you are satisfied with your changes, click Save.
All changes will appear on the mobile app as soon as it has an internet connection. All changes will appear on the web ordering platform instantly.
Product photos and descriptions
- On the backend, go to the Product Details page of the product that you want to add a photo to.
2. Fill in the Short Description. Under Product Photo, click Select Files... and select the image that you wish to be used for your product.
3. Click Save.
4. Finally, go back to your Online Ordering Menu and Save to sync the changes to your online ordering platform.
You will need to do a Menu Sync on your POS to see the changes on the POS.
Theme customisation & preview
- Go to Online Ordering > Theme Customisation
2. This is where you can change your logo, background image, and the colours of your online ordering platform. View any changes in the mobile & desktop previews.
3. After making any changes, click Save.
You can add little icons for each dietary requirement that applies to your products, e.g. a pizza can be flagged as "spicy". Your customers can then "filter" the products according to their preferences.
- For each product you want to flag, go to Product Details
2. Go to the Advanced tab.
3. Scroll down to Product Intolerance, Product Allergy, and Product Preference.
You'll be able to select one or more options for the following fields-
- Gluten Free
- No Eggs
- No Fish
- No Milk
- No Peanut
- No Sesame
- No Shellfish
- No Soy
- No Tree Nuts
- No Wheat
- No Garlic
- No Onions
- Lactose Free
- No Added Sugar
- No MSG
- No Pork
Then click Save.
4. Repeat for your other products.
If you're an expert with CSV files, you can alternatively apply these dietary filters to multiple products with your "Products" CSV import.
NOTE: You must include the text exactly as it is written above for the CSV import to work (e.g. "No Added Sugar" instead of "no sugar"). Separate multiple options with a semi-colon (;).
5. After making all these changes, go back to your Online Ordering Menu and re-Save.
Your customers will then be able to filter products by what dietary flags you have added to your products.
Hide product variants
In Product Variant Group, tick Kiosk/Online Only or Hide Values, depending on whether you want the product variant to show only online, or only on the POS.