In this article:
Basic POS Operations
- Open POS Register
- Petty Cash Transactions
- Close POS Register
- Update Menu
- Get Server Settings
- Master Sync
- Master and Slave Connection
Basic POS Operations
Open POS Register
- Use the keypad to enter the amount of cash in the register (your float).
- Press OPEN.
If you accidentally skip this step, open the navigation menu and go to POS Register to return to this page.
When you close the register, you will be prompted to print a cash register summary. You can also print it by going to Reports.
Print Current Register Summary
- Go to Reports > Current Register Summary.
- Press Print.
- Your current register summary will print from the POS printer.
Print Historical Register Summary
- Go to Reports > Register History.
- Select a date, then press Done.
The beginning and end times will correspond to the times you last opened and closed the POS Register.
- Press Print.
- Your selected register summary will print from the POS printer.
- Go to Order History.
- Swipe left on the order you wish to refund.
- Press Refund.
4. Select the reason for the refund.
These reasons can be preconfigured on the backend (POS > POS Settings > Refund Reasons).
5. Tick the items you want to refund.
6. Select the payment method through which you wish to perform the refund: Cash or Credit Card.
Cash payments cannot be refunded through credit card.
Petty Cash Transactions
- Go to POS Register.
- Enter the cash amount.
- Press CASH PAY IN (inserting cash) or CASH PAY OUT (extracting cash).
4. Enter a Comment, then SUBMIT.
If you have already created suppliers on the backend (POS > Stock Management > Suppliers), you can also select a supplier.
Close POS Register
- Select the cash type (e.g. $5 notes).
- Enter the quantity of that cash type (e.g. 2 × $5 notes).
- Press SUBMIT. Repeat for the rest of your cash.
- Press FINALISE.
Please note that once you finalise your closing amount, this cannot be changed.
5. Submit the amounts of your other payment methods.
If you have non-integrated EFTPOS, find the sales total on your EFTPOS device.
For other payment methods, go to Reports > Current Register Summary.
6. Press CLOSE REGISTER.
If the POS detects a discrepancy, enter a Reason for the cash variance, then press SUBMIT.
This can only be done on the Master POS, or on the backend.
- Tap the cog next to your menu name.
2. Select a product.
If you want to add a product instead, press an empty tile with a + sign.
If you want to change product variants, you will need to log into the backend.
3. Change the details and press UPDATE.
4. Press SAVE MENU.
For more details, check this article.
Get Server Settings
- Go to Settings > System.
- Click GET SERVER SETTINGS.
- Go to Settings > Sync.
- Press MASTER SYNC.
Master and Slave Connection
iPads that are successfully connected will have each other listed on their Server Lists with a green connection symbol next to each device name. To connect your Master and Slave:
- Enter the DEVICE ADDRESS of the Master into the Slave.
- Press CONNECT on the Slave. Each iPad will appear on each other’s Server Lists.
If you experience any issues, please ensure that:
✅ Master and Slave are on the same network (i.e. “abacuspos”)
Go to the iPad’s Settings > Wi-Fi on both iPads to see your selected network
✅ Abacus POS is currently open in both iPads
✅ The device address starts with 192.168.9.xxx on both iPads
If the device address does not match, check your network again.
If there is no device address, press RESTART SERVER
✅ The Master is set to “Master” under SERVER MODE
✅ The Slave is set to “Slave” under SERVER MODE
✅ Master and Slave appear on each other’s Server Lists
✅ The app version number is the same for both iPads
If an iPad was connected via the wrong network, it may have created a duplicate listing. This will not begin with 192.168.9.xxx. Press the × symbol at the right of a listing to remove any duplicate listings identified.
DO NOT UNPLUG, MOVE, RESTART, RESET, TURN OFF, OR OTHERWISE INTERFERE WITH YOUR ROUTER OR YOUR ACCESS POINT, UNLESS AN ABACUS SUPPORT MEMBER HAS ADVISED YOU TO DO SO.
If your printing has worked before, and you have made no changes:
If you may have made changes to your menu, please ensure that:
✅ The right printer locations are assigned to your products.
Edit your Menu to assign a printer location to your product.
If you may have made changes to your settings:
- Ensure that the printer has been discovered on your Master.
Discovered printers will be listed in your Printer List with a green tick symbol.
- Ensure that the printer has been selected on your Master.
Selected printers will have the switch toggled on to blue.
3. Swipe left on a printer and press SETTINGS.
4. Press PRINT.
If your connection is working, you will receive a test print from your printer.
5. Ensure that the right printer locations are assigned to your printer.
Tap to tick a printer location.
6. Go to your Abacus System Settings. Ensure that you have Printer/Receipts enabled for your workflow:
C1. PRINT ORDER DOCKET UPON PAYMENT COMPLETE
C3. PRINTER ORDER DOCKET UPON HOLD ORDER
C13. PRINT TRANSFER NOTICE
C14. PRINT CANCEL NOTICE
If you still need assistance, contact our support team.
- Go to app.abacus.co in your web browser
2. Enter your username and password as provided by Abacus, and click Log In
If you have forgotten your password, click Recover and follow the prompts to reset your password
Quickly add a product
- Go to Products > Products
- Click Quick Add
3. Fill in the details:
- Product Code - a unique alphanumeric code
- Name - the product's name
- Printer Locations (if applicable)
- Taxable - (Yes/No)
4. On your Master POS, go to your Settings and Sync all products