In this article:
Check out this video from our Abacus Front End Training Series:
Open the register
The register must be opened at the start of every business day.
To open the register:
Log in to the POS.
Use the keypad to enter the amount of cash in the register (float).
You will be directed either to your Table Map, or your Point of Sale screen, (depending on if Restaurant Mode is enabled or disabled, respectively).
Open the cash drawer
To open the cash drawer:
Ensure you are logged in as a manager or admin.
Tap the printer icon at the top of the screen.
Open drawer history
The Open Drawer History report lists every time the cash drawer is opened using the above method (pressing OPEN), and who opened it.
The report excludes the times the cash drawer opened automatically to complete a cash transaction.
To view the Open Drawer History report, go to Reports > Open Drawer History on the backend.
Close the register
The register must be closed at the end of every business day.
To close the register:
Ensure there are no unsettled orders (i.e. orders that have not yet been paid for). These will be displayed in the Held Orders screen.
Go to POS Register.
3. Under Tender Type, all possible cash denominations will be listed, as well as any other tenders you have accepted that day, e.g. vouchers, Visa, cheque, etc.
4. Select a coin or note denomination (e.g. $50 note).
5. Enter the quantity of that denomination and tap SUBMIT.
The total value of that denomination will be calculated (e.g. 1 x $50 = $50) in the Actual column.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for all denominations. If you don't have any of a particular denomination you don't need to fill in that quantity.
7. When you have finalised entering your cash denominations, tap FINALISE. You cannot change these amounts once they have been finalised.
8. Tap YES to confirm this is the correct amount.
9. The Expected total amount of cash will be displayed based on how much your float was at the start of the day and how many cash transactions you had throughout the day.
The POS will calculate any Variance to the expected amount.
10. Tap CLOSE REGISTER.
11. Tap YES to proceed.
12. If a Variance is detected, you will need to enter a Reason (e.g. forgot to include tips). The reason will be visible in the Cash Register report.
13. Select the reports you want to print, if any, and tap PRINT.
You'll be redirected to the Open Register screen, ready to be opened tomorrow.
A11. ENFORCE USER TO CLOSE UNSETTLED ORDERS BEFORE CLOSING REGISTER. Requires users to close unsettled orders before they are allowed to close the register.
A27. AUTO CLOSE REGISTER TIME. Enter a time to close the register automatically once a day.
A53. DISABLE CASH REGISTER. The POS Register will be hidden from the drop down navigation menu and the cash register will be closed with $0 cash every day at the time specified in setting A27.
Note: You will not be able to track your cash variances (e.g. missing cash) when this setting is enabled.
B9. AUTO CLOCK OUT STAFF UPON REGISTER CLOSE. Automatically clocks out all staff upon closing the register.
B10. SHOW DETAILED CASH TILL. Input different amount of notes and coin denominations when closing the register. This setting is enabled by default. Disable this setting to count the total amount of cash without having to input denominations.
Instead of seeing all note and coin denominations on the POS Register screen, you will only see one Cash category.
B12. HIDE EXPECTED AMOUNT WHEN CLOSING REGISTER. When the user closing the register is a staff member, and not a manager, the system will not show the expected and variance amounts. It will also not ask for a reason when cash amounts don't match and won't display printing options.