Check out this video from our Abacus Front End Training Series:
You won't be able to use Abacus POS without opening and closing the register every day. This ensures that you know what the expected amount of cash is in the register.
Opening Cash Register
- Log into Abacus POS
- Enter your cash float using the keypad. This is the amount of cash currently in the register.
- Tap Open
- You will be directed either to your Table Map, or your Point of Sale screen, (depending on if Restaurant Mode is enabled or disabled, respectively)
Opening the Cash Drawer
To open the cash drawer itself:
- Ensure you are logged in as a manager or admin
- Press the printer icon
- Press OPEN next to "Open Cash Drawer".
Open drawer history
Go to Reports > Register > Open Drawer History to view your open drawer history report. The report consists of a list of every time the cash drawer is opened by the above method (pressing OPEN), and who opened it.
This excludes the times that the cash drawer opened automatically to complete a cash transaction.
Closing the register
You should close the register at the end of each day of business.
- Ensure there are no unsettled orders (i.e. orders that have not yet been paid for). These will be displayed in the Held Orders screen.
- Go to POS Register
3. Under Tender Type, all possible cash denominations (e.g. $50 notes) will be listed, as well as any other tender you have accepted that day, e.g. vouchers, Visa, Cheque, etc.
4. Select a coin or bank note denomination (e.g. $50)
5. Enter the quantity of that coin or bank note.
6. Press SUBMIT
7. The total value of that denomination will be calculated (e.g. 1 x $50 = $50) in the Actual column
8. Repeat for all denominations. If you don't have a particular denomination (e.g. you ran out of 1 dollar coins), you don't need to fill in that quantity at all.
9. When you are done, press Finalise
10. Confirm that this is the correct amount.
You must only finalise when you have completely finished putting in all your cash denominations. You cannot change this amount once it has been finalised.
11. The expected total amount of cash will be displayed, based on how much your float was at the start of the day, and how many cash transactions you had throughout the day.
The POS will calculate any variance to the expected amount of money.
12. (OPTIONAL) All card and voucher amounts will be automatically calculated in the backend Cash Register summary, but if you want to print out a Sales Summary instantly after closing the POS (via the receipt printer), you'll need to enter the total voucher and card payments on this page.
View total card and total voucher payments by navigating to Settings and referring to the Current Register Summary, then enter their values in the POS Register page. Regardless of whether you do this step, your backend reports will include the card and voucher payments.
Even if you are using Integrated EFTPOS (Tyro), you will still need to perform this step to print out the Sales Summary (via the receipt printer).
13. Tap CLOSE REGISTER.
14. If there has been a variance detected, you will need to enter a reason that will be seen in the backend's cash register report (e.g. "Forgot to include tips")
15. You will be prompted to print the register summary receipt
16. When you're done, you'll see the "opening POS Register" screen. Tomorrow, you can start opening the POS Register all over again!
A11. ENFORCE USER TO CLOSE UNSETTLED ORDERS BEFORE CLOSING REGISTER
Requires users to close unsettled orders before they are allowed to close the register
A27. AUTO CLOSE REGISTER TIME
Enter a time to close the register automatically once a day
B9. AUTO CLOCK OUT STAFF UPON REGISTER CLOSE
Automatically clocks out all staff upon closing the register
B10. SHOW DETAILED CASH TILL
We recommend the above method to close the register, using Abacus's in-built calculator to calculate large sums of money. However, if you want to count all the cash first (regardless of note or coin) and then put the entire total in, turn this setting off.
Instead of seeing all note and coin denominations, you will only see one "Cash" category.
B12. HIDE EXPECTED AMOUNT WHEN STAFF IS CLOSING REGISTER
When the user closing the register is a staff member, and not a manager, the system will not show the expected and variance amounts. It will also not ask for a reason when cash amounts don't match and won't display printing options.