In this article:
- What's a coupon?
- Add a coupon
- Add multiple coupons
- Coupon reports
- Applying coupons on mobile
What's a coupon?
In the Abacus system, a "coupon" is a set discount that can be applied to any order at any time (unless you create conditions for it). It's designed for situations where, for example, you might have printed out $5 coupons to celebrate your store's birthday.
There are two types of coupons:
- General: This means that it will become an extra button in the Discount popup, so that an unlimited number of customers can use it
- Unique (or Code-Only): This means that it will be hidden completely from the POS, and will need to be entered into the system either by scanning its QR code, or by searching it up manually. Code-Only coupons may be limited in number; e.g. you may allow only the first 50 customers to redeem a coupon when it is a "Code-Only" type.
Note: When you search up a coupon code, or when you create a QR code for it, you will need to precede it with a "$" sign, e.g. if your coupon code is "CREAMY", you will need to look up "$CREAMY".
Add a coupon
Coupons must be set up on the backend. Go to Sales > Coupons to manage coupons.
- Click Add Coupon
2. Enter the coupon name and code.
3. A coupon can offer either a percentage discount or a dollar discount (flat amount). Choose one of the following:
- Enter a Percentage Value (eg. enter 25 here for 25% off)
- Enter the Free Dollar offered (eg. enter 25 here for $25 off)
4. (OPTIONAL) Fill in any coupon conditions.
Select any of these coupon conditions:
- Product: Valid only for a specific product (click to select)
- Coupon access: Valid only when an Admin, Manager, or Staff role is logged in (click to select). If nothing is selected, any user can use the coupon.
- Category: Valid for one or more select categories (click to select)
- Type: General (for a button) or Unique (code-only)
- Expiry date: Valid only until the specified date (click to select)
- Minimum Quantity/Maximum Quantity: Valid only for a specific number of products in the selected category, or for the selected product (supported only in specific mobile apps and online ordering setups)
5. Click Sync Coupons
6. Sync modifiers on the POS
Add multiple coupons
- Click Generate Coupons
- Under Is Active, select "Yes"
- Enter the number of coupons, free amount OR discount percentage, and expiry date.
- Click Save
- Click Sync Coupons
- Perform a Master Sync on the POS
Go to Sales > Coupon History to view the usage details of each coupon, and their corresponding invoice.
You can export the coupon history as a CSV file by clicking Export.
In the Invoice column of the table (to the far right), click on an invoice number to go to the corresponding invoice for the coupon used.
Sales By Coupon Report (Business Intelligence)
If you have the Business Intelligence module, you can see a summary of your coupon usage.
- The coupon information ("coupon name", "coupon code", "value", "expired date")
- The "product" and "category" that the coupon is valid for (if specified) - if no product or category is specified, it is universally applicable
- The number of invoices where a coupon was used (“number of invoices”).
Note: this is not necessarily the number of times that a coupon was used; a coupon can be used more than once in a single transaction (e.g. $2 off per cupcake where 2 cupcakes were purchased)
- The original order amount (“total”) prior to the coupon being applied
- The discount incurred by the coupon (“discount”)
Redeeming coupons on mobile
If you have a customer mobile app, your customers may be able to redeem a coupon when they finalise their order. For mobile redemption, you can use a QR Code for your coupon.
- Go to any online QR code generator and create a QR Code for the Coupon Code
2. When your customer is finalising their transaction, they can can press the QR Code icon, scan it, then press Apply. They can also manually enter the alphanumeric coupon code.