In this article:
- Cash Payments
- Credit Card Payments
- Vouchers & Gift Cards
- Splitting the bill
- Store credit
- Email receipt to customer
Check out this video from our Abacus Front End Training Series:
Once the order has been added to the screen, tap PAY.
On this Payment Screen are the available payment methods.
On the Point of Sale screen where there is an Order List, tap the Pay icon.
There are a few different methods of paying for the bill.
For a cash payment, input the amount paid by the customer and press the Cash button. The application will then show how much change you need to give the customer before completing the transaction.
Consider also using the Fast Pay option to finalise cash transactions even faster.
Credit Card Payment
For a credit card payment, you don’t need to enter an amount, just press the Credit Card button.
- If you have an integrated payment terminal, the amount owing will be automatically pushed to the payment terminal, and you'll need to swipe/tap that card to complete the payment
- If you don't have an integrated payment terminal, you'll need to separately enter that payment amount into your payment terminal
Payment using Vouchers and Gift Cards
1. Input the total value of the voucher and tap the Voucher button.
2. This will decrease the amount due.
3. Proceed with the remaining payment as per usual (cash, card, etc.).
Note: If the customer is paying with a voucher or a gift card generated by Abacus, this may contain a QR code to be scanned. See Paying with a Voucher/Gift Card under Automatically Generated Vouchers and Gift Cards.
Splitting the bill
- Press the Split Payments button
- Understand the type of split payment your customer wants:
A) Pay for each item separately
B) Split the total evenly among customers
C) Designate custom amounts for payment (e.g. For a $45 bill, one customer only has $20, whereas their friend has $25, so they are paying custom amounts each)
- Abacus does not support split payments when vouchers are used
- You don't need to get the whole group to pay at once; e.g. If one person from a group of friends has to leave early, they can pay first without forcing the rest of the group to pay immediately. You will still be able to hold the rest of the order. When you open that order again, the items that have been paid for will be flagged as "paid"
- The order will not appear in your Order History until the order has been fully paid
- The amount remaining on a partially paid order will be shown on the Order Screen
A) Split by Items (Pay for each item separately)
- Tap Items
- Select the item(s) the first customer wants to pay for
- Select their payment method
- Select the item(s) that the second customer wishes to pay for
- Select their payment method, and so on
B) Split Equally
- Go to Portion
- Select Equally
- Enter the number of customers that will be paying and press DONE
4. The bill will be evenly divided by the number entered
5. Take the first customer's payment and select their payment type
6. Repeat for the following customers
C) Split By Portion
- Go to Portion
- Select Amount
- Enter the denomination to be paid and press DONE
4. Abacus will calculate the remainder, which can be similarly split into further denominations
Paying the bill with store credit
To pay using a store credit account, press OPTIONS and Credit Account. Select your account from the account list.
Each account has a Max Transaction Allowance, Max Credit Allowance and Balance. Max Transaction Allowance and Max Credit Allowance are both set in the backend.
If your bill exceeds the Max Transaction Allowance for your account, you cannot use that account to pay for this bill. The Max Credit Allowance defines how much your account can be overdrawn by (the maximum negative value your Balance can reach). The Balance is how much store credit you have.
If your Max Transaction Allowance or Max Credit Allowance display $0.00, it means those values are unlimited.
When you have selected your account, the staff will require the customer to tell them the correct password to proceed (the account password will be displayed to the staff only). If the password is correct, then tap Yes.
Completing the sale
After the payments are made, you will be directed to the sale screen shown below.
Here you can choose to print the receipt of the order or to email the receipt to a customer.
Emailing the receipt to a customer
Press EMAIL RECEIPT and a window will pop up asking for the email address to send the receipt. Enter the email and press DONE. If you are completing a sale for a member with a registered email address, then you will not need to enter the email address when you choose to email them the receipt.
To complete the sale (transaction), press the Complete Sale button, after which you will be redirected to the menu interface with a clear order. The sale will be recorded in the Orders History screen.