In this article:
- Register a new customer
- Search for an existing customer
- Use QR Codes for customers
- Change customer details
To encourage customer loyalty, you can register customers in Abacus.
If you have the Abacus Customer Loyalty module, you will also be able to reward them through your own points system.
Register a new customer
To register a member to your customer loyalty system:
- Press NEW CUSTOMER
2. A form will appear. Fill in at least their:
- First name
- Email address
- Phone number
3. (OPTIONAL) Tick Print a temporary member card if you wish to instantly print the QR code that is linked to their account. This allows them to scan it in later.
4. Press Register.
5. The customer's name will appear at the bottom of the order.
You can also register a customer on the backend in the Customers page
- Click New Customer
2. Enter the following details:
- First Name
- Email address
- Mobile phone number
plus any other information you want to keep track of.
3. Click Save
Search for an existing customer
Press the Customer field at the bottom of the order to search for an existing member to add to the order.
Use QR Codes for customers
Print temporary membership cards
For new customers, tick Print a temporary member card, and a card will print when you Register.
For existing customers, press PRINT CARD, and a card will print immediately.
The POS printer will print out a temporary card which your customer can use before you supply them with a proper membership card. It will use the Member ID.
Scan in customers
If you have previously printed out the QR code for the customer when registering them on the POS, you can press the barcode icon at the top of the screen, and scan it in.
Create QR Codes ready for new customers
If you want to prepare QR codes (e.g. as plastic cards) before actually registering customers, you can create "unregistered" customers, i.e. empty customer listings with pre-defined QR codes, so you can scan a new customer in and give them the pre-made QR code.
- On the backend, go to the Customers page and click Generate Unregistered Customer
- Select how many "unregistered customers" you would like to create. This is the number of blank QR code templates ready for you to scan in and sign up any customer
3. A csv file will be downloaded with:
- Member codes
- Temporary passwords
For these to be used in future transactions, they need to be attached to QR codes.
Create the QR code
Both registered and unregistered can have their member code linked to a QR code.
- Go to your preferred online QR code generator
- Ensure that the 'Text' option is selected
- Enter a customer’s member code, preceded by a semi-colon (@) and no spaces (e.g. @2018814).
Member codes for already registered customers can be found on the Customers page (via Loyalty Marketing).
Member codes for unregistered customers can be found in the CSV file downloaded earlier when clicking Generate Unregistered Customer.
4. Download the QR code thus generated. Remember that it must start with an @ symbol - you can confirm that it is configured the right way by using Google Lens on your phone, which will show you what the QR code sands for.
5. Repeat for each member code.
Note: Only one customer can be paired with each individual QR code.
6. Using a third-party company, have the QR codes printed on a membership card or emailed to your customers.
7. On your POS register, tap the Barcode icon to launch the iPad’s camera. This will allow you to scan the code and load the accompanying customer profile. This can also be done by connecting a scanner to the iPad.
Note: Provided your POS has internet connection, customers can be scanned straight away without a sync.
Scan on a Customer-Facing Display
If you have a customer-facing display set up with your POS, there needs to be at least one item added to your customer's order before they can be scanned and attached to the order.
Note: You need to start taking an order before scanning in the customer, otherwise they will not be attached to any order. If you have scanned them in too early, you can still look them up on the POS customer database to load them to the order.
- Tap the Scan Membership button
- A popup will ask you to give the app permission to use the camera
- Press OK. You only need to give the app permission once to scan the camera.
4. The scanner will load
5. Ask your customer to show the QR code for their membership. There are two possibilities:
- They are already a registered customer
- They are not yet registered, but you have given them a pre-made membership QR code so you can register them on the spot