You’re just getting started, and we need your products! The quickest way to do this is to create CSV (comma-separated value) Files.
Please note that you should only follow these instructions if an Abacus team member has advised you to do so, and you are an advanced Excel spreadsheet user.
Follow this procedure to get your menu set up quickly:
- Fill in the Products CSV ﬁle
- Fill in the Product variants CSV ﬁle
- If you don't have an account: send us your CSV ﬁles
If you do have an account: import your CSV Files
- Create a Default Menu
Create a Products CSV File
- Create a spreadsheet like the below “Sample Products” CSV ﬁle. These are the bare essentials of what you need to ﬁll.
Product Code: A unique alphanumeric code for each item, for organisational purposes
Product Name: The name that will appear on the POS
Product Category: The group the product belongs to (eg. Lunch, Tea)
Taxable: “TRUE” or “FALSE”
Price Including Tax: The whole price
- Enter your product details in their relevant columns
- Save the ﬁle, ensuring that it is in .csv format, not a .xlsx file.
Fill in the Products Variants CSV File
- Create a spreadsheet like the below “Sample Product Variants” CSV ﬁle. These are the bare essentials of what you need to ﬁll.
The Product Variant Parent
- Name: The name of your product variant (eg. “Coﬀee modiﬁers”)
- Include Qty: “TRUE” if you want to be able to select a variant value more than once (eg. 2 × cheese)
- Force Selection: “TRUE” if you want to force at least one of the options to be selected (eg. If the bread type has to be speciﬁed as muli‐grain or white)
- Auto Selection: “TRUE” if you want the variant values to be already selected
- Single Selection: “TRUE” if you want only one option to be selectable (eg. Size has to be “large” or “small”, not both)
- Max Selection: The maximum number of variant values that can be selected (eg. 5 sauces are available, but only 2 sauces can be chosen). “0” means that there is no limit.
- Product Code: The product codes (that you set in your Products CSV ﬁle) that will have these product variants. If you want the product variants to apply to more than one product, list the products with a semi‐colon (;) in between them, with no spaces
The Product Variant Value (started on next row)
- Parent: The name of the product variant parent (eg. “Coﬀee modiﬁers) to which this value will be linked
- Value Name: The name of the product variant value (eg. “Almond milk”)
- Value Code: A unique alphanumeric code for each value, for organisational purposes
- Price: Any surcharge incurred when that value is selected (eg. A coﬀee is 50 cents extra with almond milk)
2. Enter your product variant details in their relevant columns
3. Save the ﬁle, ensuring that it is in .csv format.
If you don't have an account, send these two CSV files to Abacus and we'll put your menu together!
If you do have an account and want to import the files yourself, read on!
Import your CSV Files
- Go to POS > POS Settings > Bulk Import.
- Under Import To, click Products, and then Select CSV File.
- Select your Products CSV ﬁle. Click Import.
- Under Import To, click Product Variants, and then Select CSV File.
- Select your Product Variants CSV ﬁle. Click Import.
Create a Default Menu
- Go to iPad Menu > POS Menu.
- Click Add POS Menu and name it.
- Click the Edit (pencil) button.
4. Click Create Default Menu.
5. A menu will be created from your Products CSV ﬁle.
6. Click Publish.
7. Your menu will now be available when you perform a Master sync on the POS!