In this article:
When putting through orders, you can either:
Add once-off customer names to dockets so you know whose name to call out for each order
Register customers for orders so you can track their order history and (if you have the Abacus Customer Loyalty module) reward them through your own customised points system
How to add once-off customer names
These names will appear on order dockets but will not be registered in your customer database.
Tap Order Details
2. Enter the Name
3. Tap Done
This can be viewed in your Invoice Description on the backend, though it will not appear in your customer database.
Register a new customer
Register on POS
To register a member to your customer database (and loyalty system, if you are subscribed):
Press NEW CUSTOMER
2. A form will appear. Fill in at least their:
3. (OPTIONAL) Tick Print a temporary member card if you wish to instantly print the QR code that is linked to their account. This allows them to scan it in later. (See this article section.)
4. Press Register.
5. The customer's name will appear at the bottom of the order.
Register on backend
You can also register a customer on the backend in the Customers page:
Click New Customer
2. Enter the following details:
Mobile phone number
plus any other information you want to keep track of.
3. Click Save
Press the Customer field at the bottom of the order to search for an existing member to add to the order.
Use QR Codes for customers
Print temporary membership cards
For new customers, tick Print a temporary member card, and a card will print when you Register.
For existing customers, press PRINT CARD, and a card will print immediately.
The POS printer will print out a temporary card which your customer can use before you supply them with a proper membership card. It will use the Member ID.
Scan in customers
If you have previously printed out the QR code for the customer when registering them on the POS, you can press the barcode icon at the top of the screen, and scan it in.
Create QR Codes ready for new customers
If you want to prepare QR codes (e.g. as plastic cards) before actually registering customers, you can create "unregistered" customers, i.e. empty customer listings with pre-defined QR codes, so you can scan a new customer in and give them the pre-made QR code.
On the backend, go to the Customers page and click Generate Unregistered Customer
Select how many "unregistered customers" you would like to create. This is the number of blank QR code templates ready for you to scan in and sign up any customer
3. A csv file will be downloaded with:
For these to be used in future transactions, they need to be attached to QR codes.
Create the QR code
Both registered and unregistered can have their member code linked to a QR code.
Go to your preferred online QR code generator
Ensure that the 'Text' option is selected
Enter a customer’s member code, preceded by a semi-colon (@) and no spaces (e.g. @2018814).
Member codes for already registered customers can be found on the Customers page (via Loyalty Marketing).
Member codes for unregistered customers can be found in the CSV file downloaded earlier when clicking Generate Unregistered Customer.
4. Download the QR code thus generated. Remember that it must start with an @ symbol - you can confirm that it is configured the right way by using Google Lens on your phone, which will show you what the QR code sands for.
5. Repeat for each member code.
Note: Only one customer can be paired with each individual QR code.
6. Using a third-party company, have the QR codes printed on a membership card or emailed to your customers.
7. On your POS register, tap the Barcode icon to launch the iPad’s camera. This will allow you to scan the code and load the accompanying customer profile. This can also be done by connecting a scanner to the iPad.
Note: Provided your POS has internet connection, customers can be scanned straight away without a sync.