In this article:
- Guest check-in
- Contacting your customer
- Processing orders (accepting/rejecting)
- Preparation Time
- Order Tracking
- Updating your menu
- Setting surcharges
Online Ordering is an add-on to your Abacus Point of Sale.
It means that your customers can place an order through a webpage (which is mobile-friendly!) and that order will appear on your POS.
You'll then be able to accept (or reject) the order, mark it as ready, and then mark it as completed when it has been either picked up or delivered to your customer.
Please note that these orders are managed in the Online Orders screen of Abacus POS, and do not appear in your Held Orders or Point of Sale screen.
In order to set up Online Ordering, click the green banner on the backend, and you will be guided through the self-onboarding process.
After you have onboarded yourself, you can then change the settings in the Online Ordering backend section.
Your customer can "check in", registering their contact details when dining in. Our Guest Check-In report can help you with tracing those who have been physically present at your store, though it should not be used for marketing or promotional purposes.
Only guests who have opted into marketing will be added to your customer database for marketing purposes.
To set this up:
- Go to Online Ordering > Publishing
- You will see a downloadable sample QR code. IMPORTANT: This is only a sample, so you can see how to scan in for Guest Check-In. This QR code should not be used as it is!
If you scan the QR code with your phone, you will be directed to your online mobile ordering site.
You will see that Table Number 0 is selected. This is because in the sample, we have
?table=0 at the end of the URL.
Whatever number you place at the end of that URL will become the table number that is registered when the user scans its QR code from their mobile phone.
3. Using the sample as a starting point, you will need to make a unique URL for each table.
You will end up with a list that looks something like:
(Instead of xxxxxx, you will have your own unique company ID)
You can use any numbers or letters for your table, such as "1A", or even "bar".
4. Now, you need to create a QR code for each of those URLs. This is so customers can quickly scan the QR code using their phone, rather than having to type in that whole URL on their phones.
We recommend you use a QR code generator like https://qrd.by/
5. Print your QR codes and display them on each of your tables. Make sure that each QR code's URL ends in the correct number for that table, e.g. Table 2 should have the QR code with URL ending in
Now, when your guest checks in using the QR code, it will record what table they were at! They will then be able to order.
The contact details added to the Guest Check-In page.
Contacting your customer
As soon as an order comes through to your POS, you will also be able to see your customer's name and mobile phone number, so you can call them on your store phone if necessary.
Press the order's STATUS button to see the address for delivery orders.
Processing orders (accepting/rejecting)
Please ensure that you are only running one Master POS for your online orders. You must have Abacus POS open at all times to receive online orders.
- The trolley icon will blink when a new order is received. Tap the icon to go into the Online Orders screen. You can also access this through the navigation dropdown menu.
2. All online orders are shown here. To see order details, tap the order itself.
3. You need to either accept or reject each order. Tap the NEW status button to expand the popup.
4. In the popup, tap ACCEPT. The status will update to "ACCEPTED".
If you REJECT an order, you will be prompted to enter a reason why, and this reason will be sent to the customer.
OPTIONAL SETTING: You can also switch on POS setting A10. Auto confirm online orders if you want all online orders to be automatically accepted, which means you will skip this step.
5. Go to the In Progress tab to see all orders that you have accepted and are working on.
You can reprint all the orders displayed by pressing Print All.
When you have finished preparing the order, update the status as READY.
6. When your order has been delivered, or it has been picked up by your customer, update the status as COMPLETE.
OPTIONAL SETTING: You can also turn on the POS Setting F2. Auto complete accepted orders, so that as soon as you accept any order, it will be immediately marked as complete.
All completed orders for the day can be found in the Completed tab.
The estimated delivery/pickup time depends on how long it typically takes to prepare an order.
Set the preparation time for:
- Whole orders: go to Online Ordering > Configuration > Order Preparation Time
- Specific products: go to your product details > Advanced tab > Preparation Time
In each order, the highest number will be taken as the preparation time, e.g. if you have a 20 minute preparation time set in your online orders, but your doughnuts have a 30 minute preparation time, then the system will recognise you need 30 minutes instead of 20.
When your customer submits an order, they can see an Order Tracker that shows the progress of their order across multiple stages:
- Pending - the order is still sending to the POS, and has not been accepted/rejected yet
- Preparing - the order has been accepted
- Ready for pickup/on its way - the order is ready for the customer to pick it up, or it is on its way to be delivered
If you choose not to use an Order Tracker, your customer will instead see different screens depending on the status of their order.
Note: If you have F2. Auto complete accepted orders turned on, your customer will not see an order tracker.
Change this at any time in the Online Ordering Configuration page.
To refund an order, go to your Order History, swipe left, then tap REFUND.
Select ONLINE for online orders to be refunded through the online transaction, otherwise you can opt to refund in CASH or CREDIT (if the refund is processed in person).
The online refund will take 3 days to process.
Updating your menu
If you want to change anything on your Online Ordering Menu, go to Online Ordering > Menu:
- Rearrange menu items
- Change the price (just for online ordering - coming soon!)
- Change the product name (for online ordering - coming soon!)
- Remove items
- Add new items from your Products List
Make sure you click Publish after all changes and to perform a Master Sync on your POS.
You can also reach this page via the POS Menu list page:
Surcharges will be supported soon in online ordering.
Across your reporting, online orders will have the payment type as Abacus Payment.
See also: How you get paid for online orders